The Medford Historical Society & Museum was organized in 1896 by concerned citizens from the city of Medford. In 2013 we added “Museum” to our name to mark our organization as the city’s museum.
The original purpose of MHS was to collect and preserve the history of this historic city, to correct the myths that had grown up over the years, to build a historical library, to collect the artifacts of local history, and to celebrate historical anniversaries.
One of their first projects was to sponsor a historical festival, “On the Banks of the Mystic,” in 1896.
Shortly thereafter they started the Medford Historical Register, which appeared quarterly until 1943. This printed original research and other interesting information about the city, thus preserving a great deal of local history that would otherwise have been lost.
If you’d like to join us, follow this link: Membership Information.
If you’d like to make a donation, download our: printable donation form in pdf format.
Their first headquarters was in an historic house built in 1800 at 2 Ashland Street, the birthplace of Lydia Maria Child, and where the famous “Medford crackers” were made. The members vacated the property in 1915, moving temporarily to rented quarters at 6 Main Street. The next year they built their present headquarters at 10 Governors Avenue in a Spanish Mission style building designed by the president of the Society, Moses W. Mann. It cost them just over $6600.
Throughout the city, bronze tablets mark historic sites in the city. They interpret the history connected with Medford’s old industries, local celebrities and culture as they were understood in the 1990s. Some recent discoveries have been made to reframe some of these narratives.
In recent years, the Society has been active in cataloging and preserving our collections. We are also slowly modernizing our headquarters on Governors Avenue, which now celebrates 100 years. We also sponsor historic bicycle tours, give presentations to school-age youth; holding regular meetings with talks on the city’s history; and continue to preserve our collection of Civil War photographs.
After much work, we now have a Strategic Plan for the next three years. Our new Board members, Susan and David Fedo spearheaded the effort. In the next few months, the Board will be starting specific projects and we’ll be looking for volunteers. Click here to download the plan in printable PDF format.
Officers of the Society
John Anderson (acting)
Anne Marie Gallagher
Director of Collections
Board Members at Large
Chair of Programs and Events Committee