September 22, 2023
- Public opening hours: We are now open 1:00-4:00 PM every Sunday. Come by to see our new exhibits.
- The Lydia Maria Child talk by Prof. Lydia Moland on 9/14 was recorded by C-Span. We will link it here when available.
- Fall programs are on the Events page here.
- Our own Medford Municipal Records Collection are now available and digitized.
- House Histories and Fascinating Finds: View a video of the lecture on house histories here. Download a copy of the accompanying handout in PDF format here.
- The HISTORICAL MARKER PROGRAM IS BACK! Learn more here.
- Have you checked out all our Books and Resources page? Many questions can be answered by our ever-growing digitized resources. All back issues of our newsletters can be found here.
- Make sure to update your membership today!
MHSM will be open to the public on Sundays from 1-4 PM at 10 Governors Avenue. Look for us at the table for the Mystic River Celebrations in September 2023 and stay tuned for all of our 2023-2024 programming on this page.
Poetry Reading and Fundraiser
Friday, September 29, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
10 Governors Avenue
Max Heinegg, poet, singer-songwriter, and recording artist will launch his new book Going There (Lily Poetry Review) at MHSM on 9/29 and read selections from it. Musical guests and friends will also be featured. Medford Brewing Company will generously donate beer for those 21+ in attendance. Donations of $10 to help support the Historical Society are appreciated. Spaces are limited to 35. Sign up at Eventbrite here.
Civil War Photojournalism: Selections from the MHSM Civil War Photo Collection.
Speaker: Jay Stott, MHSM Board Member
Thursday, October 12, 7:00 p.m.
Charlotte and William Bloomberg Medford Public Library
Encounter Medford Historical Society & Museum’s national treasure, our Civil War Photo Collection as never before and hone your history detective skills. Join us to see selected images from the collection through the photographers’ eyes, as they intended it to be seen and experienced. The photos are a direct witness to the people, places, and events of the American Civil War. Learn about the technical and physical challenges the photographers faced and the choices they made to ply a rapidly evolving craft, then barely twenty years old. Explore some of the hidden stories their photos tell. It promises to be a unique evening not to be missed.
Tickets at Eventbrite here. Space is limited!
Co-Sponsored by the GAR Hall and the Museum of Lynn
Thanks to the Medford Arts Council for its support in 2022-2023
These programs are supported in part by a grant from the Medford Arts Council, a local commission that is supported by the Massachusetts Cultural Council and the City of Medford.
Murder at the Harvard Medical School, April 2023
Black Heritage Trail Virtual Tour, February 2022
Our Medford,” written by Medford teacher Michael Coates is for kids and anyone interested in an illustrated introduction to Medford History.
The book began to be used in the Medford grade 3 classrooms in fall 2016.
Click here to view the book online. Printed copies are available for $20 at MHSM. All proceeds benefit MHSM’s educational programs.
This program is supported in part by a grant from the Medford Arts Council, a local agency which is supported by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, a state agency.